Friday, June 21, 2013

From Service to Politics


This past Tuesday, I was thrilled to welcome fellow Returned Peace Corps volunteer Congressman Joseph P. Kennedy III to speak at “From Service to Politics.” Hosted by Service Nation, New Politics, AmeriCorps Alums, and George Washington University's Center for Second Service, this event brought together service veterans from the civilian and military sectors to ignite a discussion about transitioning from service to elected office. My welcoming remarks from this inspiring event are below.



I’m pleased to introduce fellow Returned Peace Corps volunteer, Congressman Joseph P. Kennedy III.  Following in the footsteps of my father, all four of my uncles, & cousin who were all in the military, I chose to serve our country with AmeriCorps in the D.C. public schools. I took the AmeriCorps pledge seriously, service “this year & beyond.” So, I later joined the PeaceCorps in Morocco, and served in the youth development sector.  I now work as Senior Education Advisor at Civic Enterprises and serve as Chair of the AmeriCorps Alums National Advisory Council. I truly believe in the power of national service - the power of those who serve - to strengthen their communities, the nation, the world - this year & beyond. Which is why I'm so pleased to introduce the Congressman, who represents Massachusetts’ 4th Congressional District. 

I actually just learned that the Congressman and I served at the same time, from 2004 to 2006. So, while I was in Morocco, the Congressman served with the Peace Corps in the Dominican Republic doing community development work which led to more jobs, better wages, and higher safety and environmental standards.

What’s so remarkable to me is that the Congressman’s service neither started, nor ended in that rural village. In law school --  he's a graduate of Stanford University and Harvard Law -- he volunteered with legal aid.  He worked to improve the living conditions of low-income tenants in the Boston area.  He served as Assistant District Attorney in MA.  During his campaign, he actually coordinated service projects throughout his district.  This week, his offices hosted a Service Academy Night for all 4th District high school rising seniors to learn about a pathway to service through the military. 

In his speech at a City Year event earlier this year, the Congressman explained, one person can make a difference -  not just through the big heroic things, but the small constant commitments. 

Congressman Kennedy, you are making a difference - through the big heroic things, and the small constant commitments.  You're a hero, every day, through your work as a Congressman, but also a leader & a model of a national service alum who chose politics as a critical path to strengthen communities, our nation, and our world.  As we say in Morocco, shurkran bsaf, marhaba. Thank you, and welcome Congressman Kennedy!

No comments:

Post a Comment